World Bicycle Day is celebrated on 3rd June. This day celebrates everything about bicycles or bikes.
The bike is a versatile, reliable and sustainable mode of transport. Bikes are also great for fun and exercise too. Enjoy this fun activity celebrating the bicycle.
How To Make A Miniature Bicycle:
- First you need to make some wheels! So take a piece of cardboard and draw a circle approximately 8cm in diameter.
- Cut this out, then on your circle draw a smaller one about 6cm in diameter.
- Cut out your smaller circle using an art knife.
- Next, apply some glue to the card circle and wind some string all the way around until the card is completely covered.
- To make the spokes, take a paper straw and measure it to size by placing it against the inner circle and making a bend where you want to cut.
- Cut the straw, glue each end and place inside your wheel.
- Now make two smaller spokes, by cutting the straws to size and gluing them either side of the main spoke. (You should have a cross inside your wheel).
- Repeat all this process twice more, so you end up with 3 wheels.
- Next, take a paper straw and cut it to 10cm in length and glue a wheel to each end of the straw. This will be the back of the bicycle.
- It’s now time to make the handle bars! So cut a straw 14cm long and fold it in half. Flatten the ends and glue onto your 3rd wheel. Open out and flatten the top of the straw.
- Now cut a piece of straw 10 cm in length, apply some glue to one end, wrap string around the straw 5 times and cut. Glue the end of the string in place. Repeat this on the other end of the straw.
- Fold the straw in half, flatten the middle and glue on top of the straw attached to the 3rd wheel (front wheel).
- Bend up both ends of the straw and your handle bars are complete!
- To join the front and back wheels, cut two straws 12.5cm in length and glue them to each side of the front wheel. Pull them into a V.
- Flatten the ends of the straws and glue them onto the back of the bicycle (onto the straw connecting the back wheels).
- Now your bicycle needs a seat! So cut a rectangular piece of card, just under 10cm in length and 4.5cm in width. Glue the card and wrap it in string until all the card is covered.
- Glue your seat in place (onto the straw connecting the back wheels).
- There you have it - The Wheel Deal!
How To Make A Display/Storage Pot For Your Bicycle:
- Take a disposable coffee cup and cut it down to about 7cm in length.
- Apply glue to the outside of the cup and wrap it in string until the cup is covered. Display some artificial flowers or use as a storage unit for pens!