The night sky lighting up with sparkles is a beautiful sight. It is important to ensure that as adults we put in the correct steps and procedures to ensure everyone can enjoy the activities safely.
Can my child hold a sparkler?
Yes, but we recommend the following steps. It will come as no surprise that sparklers do create very hot ‘sparks’. The following steps will help your child and adults keep safe.
- Make sure everyone handling sparklers wears gloves.
- Hold sparklers at arm's length while being lit.
- Light one sparkler at a time.
- Ensure the person with the sparkler is 6ft away from the next person.
- Don't wave sparklers about close to other people.
- Never hold a baby in your arms while you are holding a sparkler.
Some people suggest putting a sparkler into a carrot and holding the carrot. This can provide a ‘chunky’ handle to hold. However, let your child know they must not pull the sparkler out of the carrot when it has gone out. The burnt metal sparkler is still very hot and can burn.
How can I help my child not to be scared of the loud noises?
It is very natural to be scared of loud noises. Our self defence mechanisms are built to let us know if something unexpected happens and therefore alert us of a potential danger.
A great way to help your child is by working with them to understand that these loud noises aren’t dangerous or something to be scared of.
A few techniques that we use in our Creation Station classes are creating colourful and sparkly pictures. We add the eco-glitter, and we make a loud BANG sound, representing a firework going off.
Playing a game with a sparkly cape can also be fun and helpful. Your child runs around the room to some lively music, with a sparkly cape or item of clothing. When you say BANG they have to leap up in the air and shout firework!
Watching fireworks on the TV before bonfire night can also prepare your child and help them understand more.
If you are going to a large event investing in ear mufflers for your child can also help them with the sudden loud noises.